Nick & Daddy Pumpkin Pie
(Representative Stephen Bloom (PA-199th) and Nick Bloom)
"My husband Stephen and our son Nick developed this recipe together in the early 90's when Nick was just a little boy. The two of them made this for our Thanksgiving dinner that year, and our children have made it every year since for Thanksgiving. It doesn't matter where we have dinner, the answer to the question, "What would you like to bring?” is always the same... pumpkin pie!”
– Sharon Bloom
- 3 1/2 cup PA Preferred™ pumpkin
- 1 tsp. ginger
- 2 tsp. nutmeg
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 T. flour
- 2 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 medium PA Preferred™ eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 (15-oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 graham cracker pie crusts
- To prepare the pumpkin, peel pumpkin, chop into cubes and cook over medium to medium-high heat. Stir often so it doesn’t burn. Mash up as it softens.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a bowl, mix ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, flour, sugar and salt.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, beat eggs with vanilla until light. Add dry ingredients, then pumpkin and mix well. Add the milks and mix well.
- Pour into 2 (10-inch) pie shells. Bake 10 minutes at 450°, then 50-60 minutes at 350°.